If your idea of a Key West vacation means ample time soaking up the sun at the beach, then you should plan your accommodations accordingly. Key West has a wealth of harbor front luxury resorts and quaint bed and breakfasts tucked away on palm shaded lanes, but you have to do your research when it comes to picking a resort with beach access on the property. Here are some of our favorite Key West beachfront hotels:
1. Casa Marina Resort- This is one of Key West’s grandest and oldest hotels on the beach. It was built in 1920 by railroad and oil magnate Henry Flagler, the man responsible for the original Overseas Railroad connecting Key West to the mainland. Today, it operates as a Waldorf Astoria resort and is as opulent as ever. Built in the Spanish Mediterranean Revival style, it’s full of airy white stucco arches, tile roofing, and a hard wood paneled breezeway. It’s home to the largest private beachfront in Key West with a pier, hammocks for relaxation, two oceanfront pools, a bar and restaurant, lawn games, and onsite water sports.
2. The Reach Resort- Also a Waldorf Astoria resort, The Reach is the Casa Marina’ sister property. With a kitschy Art Deco and Miami Modern architectural aesthetic, the overall feel is casual luxury. The resort has an expansive outdoor patio with an oversize chess board and other unique, interactive architectural features amidst a garden for lounging. The pool is set against a 450-foot long private beach with water sports onsite and a bar and restaurant.
3. Sunset Key Guest Cottages- A Margaritaville Resort property, this island oasis is 27 acres and includes private homes and spacious cottages available for rent. Sunset Key encapsulates the charm and laid-back persona of Key West’s tropical lifestyle and provides breathtaking views of the crystal clear water that surrounds this spectacular retreat. Latitudes Restaurant, located within the resort, provides succulent cuisine and a wine list sure to please any connoisseur.
4. Pier House Resort & Caribbean Spa- On the harbor side of the island lies the Pier House Resort & Caribbean Spa. At this location, you get the best of both worlds with easy access to the marinas and Duval Street, as well as one of the only Key West oceanfront hotels facing the Gulf of Mexico. The pool has a bar and restaurant, and the beach overlooks the harbor where you can watch the boats sail in and out of the nearby marinas. There’s also a diving platform anchored a short swim out for making a splash or for sunbathing.
5. Southernmost On The Beach- Located at the southern end of Duval Street, Southernmost On The Beach offers both a private and public beach for guests to enjoy. The public South Beach is a favorite amongst Key West locals with beach chairs and stand up paddle boards to rent. South Beach also boasts the popular Southernmost Beach Cafe, serving up a delicious menu, frozen drinks, and great happy hour specials, making it an obvious choice for visitors and locals alike. There’s an oceanfront pool at the private beach, as well as lawn games, beach volleyball, and a bar.
6. Southernmost House- Built in 1896, the Southernmost House is one of Key West’s most historic and eye-catching properties. This Victorian-style mansion is all pink and turquoise splendor. With bed and breakfast style accommodations, each room is unique unto itself. While technically there is no beach on the property, it’s just across the street from South Beach. It’s also home to one of the most beautiful pools on the island. The zero entry pool overlooks the ocean with plenty of hammocks and palm trees on the lawn. There’s also a nice poolside bar to while away the afternoon.